Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A New Love

Watching Lily eat cheerios is one of my new favorite pass times. On Sunday during church, a friend asked if I wanted to give Lily some cheerios her kids were eating. Up to that point Lily had only been eating mushed food and expensive dissolvable crackers. It seemed like the perfect time to try and introduce a cheap new alternative. Lily tried one and for the rest of the meeting hour was waited on by the other kids who kept bringing her more cheerios.

Needless to say, Lily now has cheerios every day, multiple times a day. I think it's a phase, but they make her so happy. I set her in her high chair and watch as she devours the cheerios I give her. She carefully tries to use her thumb and index finger to get the cheerio from the tray to her mouth. Sometimes also, she'll get the cheerio stuck to her hand and then do the fist in mouth method and hope for the best. Usually she's successful and on occasion she decides she would rather keep some for later...


If you look closely, you'll see one stuck under her chin and one below for later. 

We may have to start backing off such frequent cheerio snack times however. As amusing as they are for the both of us, I've noticed Lily is not quite her normal, content self without cheerios now. As you can see in the picture below --- we were enjoying a lovely day outside, but she quickly became tired and was done. If she had had cheerios with her, I'm guessing she would have been a happy camper. 



Hopefully we can find a healthy balance soon. Regardless, I am grateful for this new food she likes and the faith it's given me that she can handle more than mushy foods. She even tried little pieces of kale yesterday and liked them. The pieces will probably come out whole in her poop, but it's a step. Happy Valentine's week :)

1 comment: