Tuesday, March 3, 2015

New Provo Temple

Last week, Brant and I had the opportunity to attend a presentation about the construction of the new Provo City Center Temple. Needless to say, I feel giddy about this coming new temple.

This project holds a special place in my heart. The building use to be the Provo Tabernacle, which is where Brant and I had our first date. We had a few first dates, but this was the first, first date:) We attended a concert that was performing and I remember thinking he was a nice guy and just wanting to lean on his shoulder during the performance. I didn't end up leaning on his shoulder, but I clearly remember that moment in the Provo Tabernacle. I also performed with BYU Women's Chorus in the Tabernacle. It was a beautiful, historic building.

About a year after our first date, the Tabernacle had a fire and practically burned down. While it seemed rather unfortunate at the time and was a sad loss for the Provo community, it has become one of the neatest examples of a miracle.

The leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, announced less than a year after the fire, that construction would begin to refurbish the tabernacle and build a new temple in Provo.

It is due to be completed sometime next year. Listening to the presentation last week about the process that has occurred to save any part of the original structure that could be preserved, as well as seeing pictures of the progression from tabernacle, to fire, to temple filled me with a lot of joy and hope.

If you look at the pictures below, you'll see how nearly destroyed this building was. Something terrible happened, yet what a beautiful thing that will come because of it! During the presentation, the two speakers compared this temple to life. A lot of times, there seems to be little hope as we endure through challenges and struggles. And yet, as we look to God, He can help us become more than what we can be on our own. And just as the workers have been advised to maintain as much of the original structure as possible, so I believe God cares about each of us in a very personal and individual way.

I am grateful for this miracle! When Brant and I have less than perfect days, I like to remember the old tabernacle where we met, and what it is becoming :)

Provo Tabernacle, 1898-2010


Fire nearly destroys the entire building

Piles (the stilts) were driven 90 feet down to hold up the original structure. The water table is 20 feet below ground, while the basement of the new temple will be 40 feet. So quite a bit of work went into preserving the outside structure so a new foundation could be built to support the building and keep water out.

Current view


Provo City Center Temple 2016




President Monson announcing the new Provo Temple in 2011.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment