Friday, July 26, 2013

Pioneers


I don't know as much about my ancestors as I would like to. But I do know some things. Many of my mom and dad's ancestors made the trek across the Atlantic Ocean to come to America and later head west to settle in Utah and surrounding areas. There were some that traveled by train, others wagons, and some the blessed handcart. Holy moly. The idea of practically leaving everything behind and traveling across the country with a little handcart to me sounds thrilling and terrifying at the same time. Snow, death, hunger, sickness, fatigue and heartache were some of the pains they suffered. And yet, it was their faith in God that helped them press forward as well as His ability to strengthen them. 







This past Wednesday was Pioneer Day. A holiday of celebration here in Utah - many offices and universities close for the day to step back and remember those who came before. It was fun to have a whole day to remember them. Brant and I celebrated by running a 5K pioneer run in the morning (this was not even a fraction of the distance they traveled!), watching my 18 year old cousin, Morgan, open up her mission call to San Jose!! and then enjoying a Swedish "Pioneer" cake after dinner. https://www.lds.org/ensign/1972/07/a-melting-pot-of-pioneer-recipes?lang=eng Yum. 

It was fun to celebrate these early pioneers, as well as many recent and modern pioneers. The Oxford dictionary defines a pioneer as "a person who is among the first to explore or settle a new country or area." I think it's neat how essentially, everyone is the pioneer of his or her own life. No one has ever lived the same life before. It's cool how much freedom we all have in choosing where we travel and settle, what we push and pull and the values we choose to live by. I am grateful for ancestors, family, friends and others who have lived their life by faith and hard work. Enough cheese for the day - Happy Pioneer Week!


No comments:

Post a Comment