I realize this blog is ridiculously random, but the theme of it is Life is Beautiful. And since I find a lot of things in life to be beautiful, it's bound to be a random blog. That said....
There are a lot of things in life that kind of amaze me. Green onions are one of them. Did you know that you can place a bunch of green onions in a cup of water (no dirt needed) and they will grow and you can harvest and harvest? So cool! I had a roommate in college who used to do this and since then I've tried to save a couple quarters and have this subtle onion-y flavor on hand.
Funny story; last week I bought a small bunch from the store and came home excited to plant our first house plant. Eager to nourish it, I stuck it in a cup of water and placed it out on our deck so it could receive lots of sunshine. Whoops. Apparently green onions do not like 95 degree weather. I came out a few hours later, and to my horror, their straight, green stems had lost all spinal support and collapsed to the ground.
I thought they were gonners, until I remembered that if the bass is still healthy, you can harvest (or prune) and they'll keep growing.
They practically died last Thursday, 7/11 (no picture)
Last Sunday 7/14 Today! 7/18

Hooray! Look how fast they grow. Well, hopefully this fun fact can bring some goodness to your kitchen garden. Happy harvesting.

No comments:
Post a Comment