Last week, I sent an e-mail to apartment management notifying them that our oven was in need of some repairs. Though it was nice to
have an excuse for anything burned, or badly baked, I missed eating non-crunchy
cookies. To my surprise, management repairs responded quite promptly to my
request. Two days later, a couple of guys came in, pulled out our old oven and
put in a shiny, white new one.
What a beauty. It still feels like Christmas. While I am
incredibly grateful for this new addition to our basement palace, I felt a
little tinge of guilt as I asked the maintenance man if they would be
fixing the old oven? He responded that it would probably be going to the
dump—it’s cheaper to buy new than to fix the broken.
I am grateful for the ever-expanding population of green-thinkers
that care to recycle, reuse and reduce. Few products are made to
last these days. And when broken, many (myself included) tend to follow the
cheaper route of buying new rather than fixing.
Given the right tools and resources, I’m pretty sure our
oven could have been fixed. I can only hope it was recycled. For now, I remind myself to (when I can) reuse, reduce, recycle and fix! ...Whilst enjoying the blissful benefits of yummy, well-baked goodsJ

No comments:
Post a Comment