Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Life

It seems another year has come and gone since I added a thought to this blog. While blogging once a year is better than never, I hope to take better advantage of this neat form of technological thought-sharing:)

So today’s topic is life. Two weeks ago, I sang in the spring Women’s Chorus concert. It was one of those beautiful life moments. The concert was centered on children from the Holocaust. My choir teacher, Sister Applonie, met a composer earlier last year who asked if she would direct a piece he was finishing up titled Reflections from Yad Vashem. Yad Vashem is the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem; the composer's song was based specifically on his experience at the children's memorial there. Sister Applonie agreed to perform the composition and its premiere was such a powerful experience. While performing Reflections from Yad Vashem was certainly a highlight of the evening, singing Amazing Grace brought the most joy to my heart. I think grace is that little mercy that allows life to be beautiful, even when it seemingly shouldn't. The evening somehow gave peace to one of the most horrific chapters of recent history. Music; art; reverent beauty; Christ - all truly can heal and be a reminder of the beauty of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment